In today’s economic climate where every investment must count, there is one home improvement project that stands out as a wise choice for being low-risk and high-reward… Fencing enhances privacy and provides safety for children and pets, but did you know that the right kind of fence, if well-maintained, can actually boost your property value? According to a survey by The Telegraph, a professionally installed fence, as part of a well-maintained garden with sheds can add as much as 20% to the value of your property.
Here’s everything you need to know about fencing as a crucial element to significantly increase your property’s value and deter against crime.
Beyond an aesthetic asset to the garden, fencing clearly marks your property boundary. This provides a line of defence, preventing unauthorised access and deterring criminal activity. Fencing is especially effective at deterring opportunistic or spontaneous crime, such as trespassing, theft, and vandalism. With a home being burgled every 165 seconds in the UK, investing in a reliable fence should be considered an essential proactive measure to safeguard your home.
It is important to note that not all fences deliver the same impact when it comes to maximising your property value. For example, although a chain-link fence may offer boundary and security features, it would add little to no value to your home. In research studies, timber fencing has proven most attractive to homeowners (and potential home buyers), alongside stone walling. Between the two, timber fencing is more competitively priced with more convenient instillation and provides durability, versatility, and a charming aesthetic that is unmatched by other fencing types. It can also deliver a climbing structure for plants, and can be painted or stained to immediately change the garden design aesthetic. Furthermore, as a regenerative material, timber fencing is also the most sustainable option, especially when compared with man-made materials.
Most importantly, timber fences have the potential for up to a 50% return on investment if well-maintained with regular repairs and treatments! What comes next is picking a quality, durable fence, in a design that suits your style and taste.
Our top tips include:
• Choose a British manufactured product – many panels are designed and imported from Europe and overseas, and not all are manufactured to fully withstand the best of the British weather. Buying British can support with the long-term durability of the product.
• Consider the quality and look at the guarantees – most manufacturers provide a guarantee against rot or insect damage, but not all are the same. First consider the length of the guarantee, and then consider the quality and durability of the product itself. While not a foolproof guide, product thickness can be a good indicator of both quality and durability, so opt for denser, more robust products wherever you can.
• Don’t just buy on price – while it is easy to opt for the cheapest product available, opting for quality can a) significantly increase the longevity of your fencing and b) improve the aesthetic appeal and therefore property value.
• Opt for taller if you have the choice – typically, taller fences provide more reassurance to potential homebuyers, so opt for a 6ft fence panel over a 4ft fence panel if you can. You can also consider a decorative trellis top to further boost the height.
• Go for professional installation – a poorly installed fence adds no value at all, and can in fact have the opposite effect if a potential buyer fears they may be in for a hefty repair bill. Opting for a professional installation ensures quality and durability, and can deliver the 20% property value you’re hoping for.
• Bring it all together – not every boundary is yours, and while it is preferable to have a single style of panel throughout, it is not always possible. Bring the design together with paint or stain to create a consistent feel, and consider opting for decorative or plant screening in areas where the fencing is not to your taste.
At G & MB Manning, our pressure treated wood, PermaTimber®, ensures unparalleled protection against rot, decay, and wood-eating insects. This means you can spend less time maintaining your fence and more time working on your next home improvement project! Backed by our 15-year guarantee, G & MB Manning stands as a reliable partner for homeowners looking for a beautiful fence that’s made to last. In addition, our network of qualified installers ensure that installation meets the highest standards and every panel is perfectly placed. What’s more, our core fencing range is produced from timber sourced from sustainably managed forests within the British Isles and manufactured in the heart of the Wye Valley, offering unbeatable commitment to ethical forestry and top-quality craftsmanship.
Ready to discuss how G & MB Manning can transform your property? To boost your home’s value and make a secure investment for the future, contact us today on 01442 866264 or at https://gmbmanning.co.uk/.